Monday, December 26, 2016

The China Syndrome


The China Syndrome. 

I really enjoy listening to Gretchen Rubin and her sister Elizabeth Craft's podcast Happier. Gretchen just seems to have a way of zeroing in on behaviors I can totally relate to. 

The other day she and her sister were discussing something they called The China Syndrome. Now this is not to be confused with the 1970's movie thriller, but rather it has to do with thinking that if you have something then you might do something. She gave the example of thinking that owning expensive china might encourage you to host great dinner parties.  

For me my China Syndrome had to do with a Kitchen Aid mixer. Chuck had repeatedly offered to buy me one throughout our married life, but my frugal side could not justify the cost. However, one day my daughter Brittany called and walked me through the most incredible deal on a Kitchen Aid mixer ever. It included price matching, a 30% coupon, and Kohl's cash, all resulting in an Artisian style mixer for less than $200.00. At this price I was all in. 

I envisioned myself elbows deep in flour whipping up cookies and freshly baked bread. There was only one slight problem in my culinary fantasies; I really don't enjoy baking all that much. Give me a chef's knife any day, and something to be chopped and I'm one happy chef; but not so much when it came to the world of baking. 

A few years later I found myself asking for a bread maker for Christmas. Again, I just kept thinking that if I only had a bread maker I'd never have to buy a loaf of bread again. My overly active imagination once again fell prey to The China Syndrome. The whole idea that my life would be completely different if only...

As I guiltily raised my hand to having succumbed to the dreaded syndrome I couldn't help but be reminded of Gretchen's wise words, "I can choose what I do, but not what I like to do," china or not. 


So to sum it all up be careful what you wish for because it just might end up collecting dust. 

2 comments:

  1. Yes, that is so right. I made cookies with my grandson and the darn mixer had to be retrieved by that strong boy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughter actually used it this holiday so at least it got some use.

      Delete