Monday, June 13, 2016

Fixed or Growth?


Fixed or growth?

How do you approach the world?  

Are you like me sticking close to the things you do well?  Always trying to prove that you are competent? 

Or do you look forward to attempting new things?  Do you like the challenge of the unknown and the new learning that it may bring? 

This idea of mindset comes from the research of Carol Dweck and is found in her book Mindset. Those like me with a fixed mindset sure miss out, because we are too busy trying to appear perfect. 

While those with a growth mindset approach the world in a whole different way. Each new opportunity presents itself as a way to learn. It's the process, not the product that becomes more of the focus. 

I think about all the things I haven't done because I wasn't sure that I could. I think how I have remained in the comfort zone of what I could already do instead of stretching myself to try something I'd not tried before. 


What I'm learning though, is that mindset is pretty much up to me. It can be changed. As I begin reframing through the lense of a growth mindset, the possibilities seem to abound, and it sounds like fun. 

No comments:

Post a Comment