Thursday, June 23, 2016

Dinosaur


Dinosaur. 

Are you allowing yourself to become a dinosaur? Are you resting on the laurels of what you already know? Motivational speaker Brian Tracy relates that information is doubling more rapidly than ever today. 

Allowing yourself to remain in the rut of your past learning will only result in being left behind. Marshall McLuhan wisely wrote in 1967, "Our age of anxiety is, in great part, the result of trying to do today's jobs with yesterday's tools." At that time he couldn't have imagined how different the world would be today. Although, I remained employed in a part time capacity with my school district for many years, I found myself falling behind on all the latest educational trends. The acronyms alone were almost like a foreign language. 

Although, today I am retired from education, I don't want to stop learning about the world around me. Tracy says, "Force yourself to expand your horizons by involving yourself in different mental activities."  Try and stay current in things that interest you, and push yourself to venture into uncharted waters. It is so easy to want to cling to the old ways.


I remember one year my teaching partner and I decided to question why we did everything the way we did. That year resulted in many changes, and was one of the best on record. Just because I am no longer working for pay, doesn't mean I should abandon those continuing education type of opportunities. Tracy believes that by improving your knowledge and skills you can improve the quality of your life. Don't risk becoming a dinosaur when so many opportunities for growth abound. 

2 comments:

  1. I have a worry about becoming a dinosaur. I see my grandchildren becoming teenagers and I want to relate to them and so I have to find a way to reinvent what is interesting to me so I can keep up. Plus, I teach piano so I'm finding it challenging to keep up with music trends. Good post, Shari

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gabriel. I think staying relevant helps us to stay young.

      Delete