Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Envy




Envy. 

Generally speaking envy is not considered a positive emotion. You've heard the saying, "Green with envy." 

However, Megyn Kelly used a quote by Dr. Phil as a catalyst for change in her life. "The only difference between you and someone you envy is that you settled for less." She went on to leave a promising career in law and has chronicled her experiences in her book Settle For More. 

Additionally, Gretchen Rubin teaches that using envy as a clue as to what might be missing in your own life can be valuable. I can't say that I am necessarily "green with envy," but I have been guilty of comparing myself with others. If I use this comparison more as a guage as to where I want to be in my own life then I won't have to settle for less. Rather, I can be content in my choices or like Megyn Kelly use envy as a springboard to living a more satisfying life. 


2 comments:

  1. That reaction to envy opens up so much for each of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It made me realize that allowing it to eat at you is not productive, but using it as a tool for growth might not be such a bad thing.

      Delete