Monday, February 1, 2016

Believe


Believe. 

I was at a Weight Watchers meeting the other day, and one of the members made the comment that she truly believed that this would be the year she would have her greatest weight loss. She attributed it to the fact that she strongly believed this to be true. 

It got me to thinking about how in my heart of hearts I don't really believe that I can maintain my weight loss. This is due to my past history. Dr. Phil likes to say, "The best predictor of future behavior is past behavior." 

For the last twenty years I have been on the roller coaster of weight loss and gain. I always manage to find my "weigh" back, but I have stumbled time and time again. Each time I tell myself that this time will be different, and that I will not regain the weight. But, the truth is that I really didn't believe this. 

Today, though, I want to. You see I have managed to maintain my weight loss within a few pounds for the last two years. I've not allowed a "slip to become a slide," as Weight Watchers likes to say. I have rewritten my past history, and I truly believe I can do this. Not just for the present moment, but for the rest of my life. 

It does require preplanning, and mindful eating. But, it can be done. 
Attending the weekly meetings and using the tools they provide is the key to success. Best of all, if I maintain my weight there is no cost for me. Now that sounds like a win-win!



2 comments: