Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Risk


Risk. 

As I'm making my way through, Unlocking Your Creativity, I'm learning more about myself and how I respond to risk. 

Often times we are told that fear of failure or fear of success might be what is holding us back in the creativity arena. For me, though, I think it has more to do with the idea of risk. I rarely look at a new endeavor with unbridled excitement, rather I find myself uncomfortable with the uncertainty it brings. This level of discomfort often prevents me from even beginning. 

A few years after I was married I asked for a sewing machine for Christmas. Being the product of the educational system of the seventies, I had had my fair share of home economics, and had learned to sew. However, when I moved out on my own, I no longer owned a sewing machine. At the time I was excited to get started, but still a little unsure because it had been at least a decade since I had sewn anything. I remember getting the machine out and setting it up on our glass kitchen table top. My husband rightly expressed some concern about the weight of the machine, so I removed it and never took it out again. I guess that was just enough uncertainty to convince me that maybe it wasn't a good idea after all. 

Now I still own that machine almost thirty years later, and it has sat unused in my closet all these years. The reality is that now it has been four decades since I've sewn, and I REALLY don't know what I'm doing. What I'm learning, though, is that for me the ambiguity of a new task is too great of a risk. I like the safety found in my daily routines, and the things that are certain. The bottom line is that I like knowing what to expect. 

Now the author, Poreba, asks a good question, "How much assurance do you need before you begin?" Apparently, the risk of uncertainty is what ultimately holds me back. Now that I am aware of this, I plan on taking action because it is just not worth it not pursuing what you really want to do. 






5 comments:

  1. Your honesty rings true. "The ambiguity of a new task is too great a risk" is a bold and clear statement. I know. I am trying to break through some of that needing to stay safely in my routine. Two months ago I started doing a Periscope video once a week. Periscope is a free app by the Twitter company that allows you to broadcast all over the world. There is no time limit. Viewers can participate by typing messages and questions and by sending hearts for content they like. The recorded broadcast is viewable for 24 hours after airing. I have very little feedback that talking about piano teaching each week is reaching anyone. Why am I doing it? Because it is scary and I want to get over the feeling. Each week I do less to control the experience. This week I taught the hour before so I had five minutes to set up the space and start recording. There is something comforting that the video disappears after 24 hours. What is the risk? I don't quite know. And what if there is no risk at all?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gabriele, I feel that we are kindred spirits. I love your willingness to challenge yourself and try something new! This morning I was reading about how sometimes our routines can become an idol to us. Very humbling words for me. I'd love to see one of your periscopes. How do I get on?

      Delete
    2. When you download the app you can search for GabriB. I'm there on Tuesday morning 10:30 PST

      Delete
  2. This post speaks volumes to me, I can absolutely identify. Ambiguity is terribly uncomfortable for those of us who thrive on certainty--particularly when our comfort zone is in a place of control. Routines we can control

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristine. This was eye opening for me because I had never really considered what role risk could play. I'm the same way about ambiguity.

      Delete