Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Zero Waste


Zero Waste. 

I've become fascinated with the concept of zero waste. Basically, what this refers to is the idea of producing the least amount of trash possible. It professes the Five R's: Refuse, Reduce, Reuse, Recycle and Rot. 

My husband and I have been faithful recyclers for many years, and take our produce scraps to our farm for disposal. However, as I have been researching this idea, I'm learning more about packaging, and how it contributes to our trash output. I'm beginning to notice this kind of thing as I go grocery shopping.  


Although, I have been hit or miss about using reusable grocery bags, I'm now investigating reusable produce bags and bulk bin shopping, and want to recommit to using them. Apparently, you can bring a container to Sprouts and they will weigh it first and allow you to use it for your bulk bin purchases. That way you don't need to use plastic bags.

I'm starting to learn more about this, and am excited about the challenge of producing less trash. What I have noticed, though, is the landfill we pass on the way to our farm is beginning to look like "the foothills of the Rocky Mountains," to quote my husband. 

Although, I'm not sure I can realistically get to zero waste, I hope to curtail the trash coming out of our household.  

2 comments:

  1. Here in Seattle we are charged $.05 a bag so I have learned to carry a fabric shopping bag or just take my merchandize without a bag.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's interesting how when you put a dollar to it, it gets our attention.

      Delete