Friday, February 5, 2016

Did I Make a Difference?


Did I make a difference? 

"What we leave behind in this life is the memory of who we were and what we did. An imprint, no more. I have learned much. I have become wise. But have I made a difference?"

These words come from a novel by Kate Mosse entitled, Labyrinth. This is a question I think we all must ask ourselves. This idea of making a difference really brings the true meaning of our existence to light. 

I heard about a woman on the news the other night who made a difference. Her name was Zulita Walker and she was a Dart bus driver. A year ago she was returning her bus to the depot when she saw a pair of legs dangling from an overpass. It would have been easier to just continue down the road, but she didn't. Those legs belonged to a man who had given up on life and was ready to end things that night. He believed that no one, but his parents cared about him. Zulita let him know that she cared. If she didn't,  she would not have stopped her bus under a highway overpass that night. 

Because of Zulita that man's life did not end. Unfortunately, Zulita's life ended too soon when her bus crashed into a highway overpass the other night.  We are all given a limited number of days on this earth. How we choose to use them is really up to us. 

As you go about your day, think about how you choose to use the time you are given. When your last breath is taken, let it be done knowing that there was purpose and meaning in your life because you made a difference. 



Rest in peace Zulita Walker. 

2 comments:

  1. When I read your post my heart contracted for a few seconds. Have I made a difference in my life? You got me thinking......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The story on the news touched me. It got me to thinking as well.

      Delete