Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Self-Discipline



Self-Discipline. After my posting about drift a friend of mine made the comment, "Drifting is easier than the discipline it takes to be focused and goal-minded." This got me to thinking about self-discipline. When we are younger our discipline is controlled by our parents and teachers. Even the discipline of most work is controlled by our bosses. There comes a time when discipline is all up to you. So what allows some of us to be better at this than others?  One of my favorite bloggers, Gretchen Rubin talks about being an abstainer vs. a moderator. I fall into the abstainer category. It is easier for me to say no to the chips at the Mexican Restaurant, than to allow myself to get started with just one. It's a losing battle after that. In fact Leonardo da Vinci said, "It is easier to resist at the beginning than at the end." I find though, that self-discipline is something I have to continually monitor. Left to its own devices it's usually not too successful. What about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment