Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Callings


Callings. Jeff Goins, author of  The Art of Work, points out that ,"Your calling is not a job. It is your entire life." Now it is easy to focus in on your career as your calling. As a teacher I was in what was considered a noble profession. I was in the trenches making a difference every day. So what happens once you retire from teaching? Your life suddenly becomes your own, and you find yourself reflecting on the new meaning of your life. You wonder, if teaching was your calling, what is your new calling? Do you only get one calling in life,  and once it is over, it's over? I like to think about calling more in the way that Goins describes it. If we look at it this way we realize that we have many callings in our life. Wife, mother, sister, daughter, friend, volunteer and soon to be grandmother can all describe me. In this stage of my life my role as daughter has taken a more prominent role as I find myself assisting my aging parents. Come November I will be able to experience being a grandmother for the first time. I've also embraced my love of writing, and am spending more time expressing myself through this blog. As I look over the last six years of retirement, I can't help but smile. The gift of time has allowed me to embrace many callings, and I do feel that I'm still making a difference in this world.

No comments:

Post a Comment