Sunday, March 22, 2015

Scribbling





This is an activity I did in October in response to a blog challenge:

I dug through a closet and located my daughter's old box of 64 crayons along with a Christmas coloring book. As a child I yearned for the box of 64, but I think 24 was about as high as I got when it came to the crayon count. My favorite way to color as a child was to outline darkly and color in lightly. It always made for a pretty coloring experience. Today I colored Rudolph a nice shade of brown with a cherry nose. I colored his girlfriend silver, which I could do because of the box of 64. Now, I know that reindeers aren't really silver, but I was trying to think a little outside of the box. She was colored in the same manner as Rudolph. Actually, they looked pretty good. But, that was where I knew I needed to at least attempt scribbling. Messy is really out of what I thought was my nature. I found myself using a side to side stroke to color the forest friends. I just chose colors I liked and didn't worry so much about whether they were appropriate or not. Then I scribbled the sky and the background. It felt quite freeing and I found myself responding well to the mixture of colors. Finally, I scribbled over my perfect reindeer. It looked really good! I learned something. Maybe, I'm not so neat after all, and letting go of those conventions of how something is supposed to be is actually quite liberating. Besides that, it was fun! I also realized that having 64 color choices was kind of paralyzing. You know, too many color choices and all. I think the box of 24 is looking better and better.

No comments:

Post a Comment