Wednesday, March 4, 2015

1989


This time twenty six years ago I was pregnant with my daughter. Except,  at the time I had no idea if she was a boy or a girl. Back in 1989 the only reason they  did a sonogram was if there was some concern about the pregnancy. I remember getting ready for school in the morning dreaming about what life would be like with a little boy. The next day the dream would be about about a little girl. I must admit that when she was born, I was quite pleased she was a girl. Things were different in 1989. Pregnant bellies were still covered up. Photographs revealed balloon like clothing not bare tummies. Nurseries were pastels or primary colors. Names were kicked around for the entire nine months and were often changed at the last minute. Baby gifts were necessities and cute outfits came later after the baby was born. Infact, two sets of coming home outfits were bought, one for each sex. Announcements were handwritten, professional photos were taken at one month at Sears and bottle feeding was still an option. Babies were carried in carriers and not around their mother's neck. Names were Ashley, Taylor, Kayley and Brittany. There was no such thing as a reveal party and the only person taking photos in the delivery room was the dad. Perhaps  the most shocking thing for me today is that my precious baby girl will turn twenty six this month. Moms hug your babies and don't wish away any age or stage. You will blink and they will be grown.

No comments:

Post a Comment