Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Saltines and Butter


Saltines and butter. I have fond memories of late night talks with my mother, all the while eating saltines and butter. As a teenager I hung on every word my mom spoke about her own teenage and young adult adventures. She belonged to the LSS Club- Lets Stay Single. This was actually pretty revolutionary in the early 1950's. Mom was looking for fun and adventure. She worked as a secretary and went shopping each Saturday for a smart new outfit. We talked about other things as well. It was the mid seventies and she confided that all her married life her choices had been made by her male doctor, male priest and her male husband. As a teenager of the seventies at that time and feeling quite liberated I struggled to understand how she could have lived her life that way. Her legacy to me was the opportunity to make my own decisions as I approached adulthood. My world was a different world from hers. My mother passed away soon after that, and I never did get to see the woman she would have become. She was smart, kind, generous, a champion of the underdog and was not afraid to speak her mind. I loved her more than anything. It has been thirty seven years and I still miss her. It's not an every day grief, but as I sit here tonight snacking on saltines and butter I sure could use her wisdom and love right now. I love you Mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment