Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Choices


Choices. Are more choices better? Or do they just complicate things? Sometimes I feel that I'm a little overwhelmed by choices. That's probably why I eat the same basic foods for breakfast and lunch each day, and why my monthly menu planning ends up being a shuffle of the same meals. It's not that I don't want to try something new, its just easier to fall back to the familiar. There is actually a name for this. It's called the familiarity heuristic. A heuristic is simply a short cut your brain takes to help simplify your day to day living. Our modern culture seems to take great pride in all the many choices it offers. I wonder, though, if all those choices just don't contribute to the busyness of our days and minds? Sometimes fewer choices seem more doable.

No comments:

Post a Comment