Thursday, August 23, 2018

Corny Detective Shows


Corny detective shows. 
(Photo of Harriet the Spy drawn by a ten year old me.)

My love of detective shows goes way back. I cut my teeth on The Man From U.N.C.L.E, The Girl From U.N.C.L.E. ( I wanted to be April Dancer )
 and Honey West.  Throw in Perry Mason, and Nancy Drew,  and I was in detective heaven during the sixties. 

What I've found over the last fifty or so years is that I still love detective shows, except not the realistic ones. Give me Murder She Wrote, Father Dowling, Cold Case, Castle, and now a new show called Take Two and I'm perfectly content reliving my childhood obsession.

As I watch them I know that justice will always prevail, the good guy will win, and the bad guy will be caught in the end. As predictable as it all might be I like living in that little fantasy world of all's well that ends well. 

As much as I dreamed about being a detective back in the day, it became apparent around the age of thirteen that I craved safety and security way too much to put myself into harm's way. Sometimes I've looked back at this with regret wishing I was different. 


However, I've learned over the years that we all are graced with our own temperament, and trying to be someone we are not usually doesn't end well. So for now I'll continue to be an armchair detective enjoying my corny detective shows all the while anticipating a new detective show coming out this fall with Nathan Fillion (Castle) called The Rookie.

No comments:

Post a Comment