Thursday, August 30, 2018

Doggy Daycare


Doggy Daycare. 

Yes, it's a real thing. Recently, I dropped Cooper off for his grooming appointment. The first time I arrived I couldn't help but notice a room full of dogs chasing each other around. 

My first inclination was that they were being boarded, and this was an opportunity for them to stretch their legs. After inquiring I was informed that these dogs were actually there for doggy daycare. I couldn't believe there really was such a thing, and wondered who would in the world would pay their hard earned money on daycare for their dog?

Each time I returned I began to notice the clientele who was dropping their dogs off. Let's just say I wasn't seeing anyone my age doing so. When I worked my dogs stayed home unattended while I was off bringing home the dog bones. Often times, my dogs spent their days sleeping in their kennel. I guess by today's standards they were kind of like the latchkey kids of the past. 

As I drove home I thought about how dogs survived back when I was a child. Of course, most moms were at home, but dogs rarely if ever made it into the house. You've heard the term sleeping in the  doghouse, well dogs actually did just that. Some had free reign of the neighborhood, and others were basically tied up all day. 

When I thought about the concept of someone dropping their dog off each day for a fee I found it quite brilliant that someone had come up with the idea in the first place. Kind of like selling a cup of coffee for five dollars. What was it that P.T. Barnum used to say?

Each time I take Cooper to the groomer I assure him how lucky he is to have a stay-at-home mom so he doesn't have to attend daycare. I think I just dodged a financial bullet on that one. 








No comments:

Post a Comment