Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Breaking the Rules


Breaking the rules. 

I'm a rule follower. I always have been. Being the first born, a people pleaser, and a six on the enneagram all make me somewhat fearful of doing things wrong, and worst of all getting in trouble. 

I remember once going out for the day with Chuck. I really can't remember all the circumstances, but he pointed out how much fun we were going to have because "we were breaking all the rules." I thought about it for a minute, and replied that I didn't think breaking the rules was anything I would enjoy. As a matter of fact the anxiety of rule breaking was no fun at all. 

Now mind you, Chuck and I were not on our way off to rob a bank or anything. Heck rule breaking might have been all about sleeping late, and eating brunch instead of lunch. Who knows because we do live a pretty predictable life, mostly thanks to me. 

I will admit after living in an apartment for a year you really do bare the consequences of the rule breakers. Having to dodge piles of poop for those who dont pick up after their dog got old quickly. For those too lazy to walk their trash down to the trash receptacles, and left it out on the curb to be picked up by maintenance just didn't seem right. Having to endure late night vacuuming after hours was just another example of how not following the rules affected others. 

However, recently I came across another perspective on rule breaking. It had to do with creativity, and breaking your own rules. As a civilized society we do needs rules for group living, but what about those self-imposed rules that may be standing in the way to a more creative life? 

Artist and author of The Little Spark, Carrie Bloomston recommends, "Do lots of unexpected things. Surprise yourself. Break your own rules. Leave the trail behind you. Bypass your patterns and routines."

Now as a creative person who clings to rules as a safety net, the idea of breaking my own rules seems somewhat easier. I suppose if I get in trouble it will essentially be with myself, and I think I'd be okay with that. Nothing like assigning myself a hundred "I will not" sentences if things go awry. 




No comments:

Post a Comment