Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Five, Six Pick Up Sticks


Five, six pick up sticks. 

As I sat on the porch watching my grandson this weekend I couldn't help but be impressed as he did his job. It began with a quick once over of the front yard with his kid-sized lawn mower. After a few minutes he stopped to survey his work, and noticed that several new branches had fallen the night before from the pecan tree. 

He picked up the largest and walked it over to the open bed of his Dad's pickup truck. He swung the stick quite confidently into the truck bed, and made his way back for another. This same motion continued about four or five times as he made his way back and forth picking up sticks along the way. 

Eventually, the sticks were so small that he bent down, and gathered several of them at once before depositing them in the truck. What amazed me the most was that this was all done completely on his own without any prompting by me. He saw that a job was needed and he stepped up to do it. 

Now the first question I have is what two year old even thinks this way?  I had seen a bundle of sticks he had collected before, and noticed the pride he took in pointing them out to me. I had also seen him help his Dad chunk the sticks into a hole in the back pasture. He actually did a great job, and never complained once about the task. 

My grandson accompanies my son-in-law to work a few times a week in the afternoon. He takes his work quite seriously. Infact, the last time he went he ran into his parents' room to get a tube of chapstick just like his Dad, and asked my daughter to get him a cooler to bring as well. 

This boy loves his Dad, and emulates him every chance he gets. I'd say he's one lucky boy. 




2 comments:

  1. you are just as lucky to be in a position to watch and RECOGNIZE the examples he is following...congratulations and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete