Monday, August 6, 2018

Todd the Toad


Todd the toad.

One of the perks of country living is the wildlife. My two year old grandson has become very intrigued by the different insects and animals that make their way to his home. 

Perhaps his favorite is a toad he has affectionately named Todd ( I think after one of his Dad's friends.) Todd was discovered one night sitting on their front porch. He was HUGE, and a little daunting at first. In the morning Todd was no where to be seen, but he would appear each night like clockwork. 

It wasn't long before Todd's daytime home was discovered. He had made his humble abode in the water faucet box in the garden. It was the perfect place for him and a couple of his frog buddies to hang out during the heat of the day. 

Cool and damp, and somewhat protected by the plastic cover no one was the wiser that it had become a toad and frog hotel. Now each time I visit I make sure to greet Todd and check out his new digs. He's a man of few words, but considering his size does a good job of keeping down the insect population. 



Living in the country is kind of like a big science experiment for nature lovers. I'm excited my two grandsons get to be a part of such a fun upbringing. 

2 comments:

  1. Gotta love it! I grew up in the woods of TEXAS! (Boy Scouts) from East Texas Piney woods to the cliffs of Possum Kingdom, we roamed and learned the wildlife! Now, in the Fall of my life, I have rediscovered the passion I had for wildlife. I am simply driven to identify every bird I see! You have ignited a fire that will burn in your grandchild his whole life, and he will remember you for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I actually remembered my insect identifying skills from Mr. Rachel's 7 th grade life science class, and picked up the mysterious giant moth that was upside down on their driveway. My grandson said it was "creepy!" I always loved sharing my love of nature with my students. Thanks for reading and responding!

      Delete