Monday, May 21, 2018

Mistakes


Mistakes.

Gretchen Rubin in her Best Advice for Graduates posting reminds us that everyone makes mistakes, and no one is spared. She writes, "Everyone makes mistakes; it's inevitable."


As I look back over the years since I graduated from both high school and college I think perhaps my biggest mistake was having no real direction. Rubin has written about drift,and I see how clearly that played a role in my life, especially as a young adult. 

Drifting through my twenties, as if I had all the time in the world, is something I do regret. That decade was a time in my life that I took very little control over. It's amazing how it can all go by so quickly when you are not paying attention. 

My unsolicited advice to those just starting out is to not let that happen. Certain things, like biological clocks, have a way of getting away from you if you are not careful. Thinking there will always be plenty of time to do the things you want to do may not actually be a reality. 

My not so great knee will probably mean I'll never visit Machu Picchu, although, I'm proud to say that one of my former Social Studies students has crossed it off her bucket list. Don't wait too long to do the things you really want to, because one day you might not be able to. 

Mistakes will be inevitable, but paying closer attention might not make them so major. 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment