Friday, May 25, 2018

Indoor Generation


The Indoor Generation. 

I was shocked the other day after reading that most people in the United States spend approximately 90% of their time indoors. In fact, the term Indoor Generation has been coined to describe this phenomena.

In an article by Stephanie Wilson she writes about our "detachment from the natural world-and natural sunlight, specifically." This lack of outdoor time can lead to Seasonal Affective Disorder, poor air quality, and a disruption of the natural sleep cycle. Who knew that sleep was actually tied to natural light exposure?

Along these same lines, I also read more about something called grounding or earthing. Remarkably our immune system is strengthened through walking barefoot on soil or grass. 
In an article written by a Dr. Mercola he explains how making contact with the earth allows for 
the release of electrons which provide the body with antioxidants to help prevent inflammation. 

This got me to thinking about how little time I actually spend outdoors. At the apartment it was easy to get outside daily because of the convenience of the lake. As they finish up the construction in my neighborhood I don't find myself outside walking much, and add to that the heat of summer, getting out regularly has become more of a challenge. 

Already our unseasonably warm spring has kept my windows closed, and my air conditioning running. The other day my daughter and I had plans to take the boys to the park when we were alerted by a highway sign that it was an orange ozone alert day. We questioned whether we should be getting out?

Walking barefoot is something I rarely do except at the beach. My feet, or even my hands don't make contact often enough with dirt, as my green thumb pales in comparison to many of my friends. However, after learning more about the indoor generation I wasn't sure I wanted to be a member. 

I've always responded well to the outdoors, and find my spirits lifted by the smell of fresh air. I enjoy sitting out in the morning, and patio dining whenever possible. Opening a window or two usually results in a more motivated me. 

Along with the commonly recommended habits of good health, like diet, exercise and sleep, maybe finding a way to connect more with the outside world can have health benefits as well. 







No comments:

Post a Comment