Friday, May 12, 2017

Right at Home


Right at home. 

Earlier this week I accompanied my neighbor to volunteer at a local Memory Care facility close to our apartments.  I was able to assist in the making of Mother's Day pins that were glittery, and bejeweled, and turned out quite nicely. 

Two years ago if you had asked me to visit, I would have felt very uncomfortable. Kind of like a duck out of water. Except, what have I been doing for the last two years, but visiting my Dad    at his Memory Care home. 

When I walked up to the front door I had a little lump in my throat as I thought about my Dad. I realized that I was missing not only him, but the familiar routine of stopping by for a visit. 

As I helped out where I could I saw the same familiar kindness and love from the caretakers toward the residents. It was a happy place where each person was still viewed as valuable. I found myself fitting in right away, and enjoyed the time I spent there. 

I can easily see myself, and Cooper as well, visiting each week, and helping out with special projects. I made sure to thank my neighbor for encouraging me, and inviting me to tag along. 

There is nothing wrong with a little kick in the pants to get you involved with something really worthwhile. 



No comments:

Post a Comment