Monday, May 22, 2017

Old Ways


Old ways. 

"Old ways won't open new doors." This hit me like a ton of bricks. Especially for where I am today in my life; wanting to open new doors, but still clinging to my old ways. 

In the book, Eat, Pray, Love Made Me Do It, Emily Shaules shares her story of how she completely transformed her life and her health, and in the process created her energy bar business, Shift Bars. Shaules had been compliantly following the predetermined path that society often paints, and in her quest for perfectionism she found herself gravely ill. 

As I contemplated how this applied to my life, it became apparent that in the past I've pretty much stuck to the old tried and true ways. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but now that I'm moving into a new phase of the journey I'm ready to embrace new ways of thought that might foster growth, and not cling so tightly to what I've always done.  

When Shaules admitted that the life she was leading was not really what she wanted she was able to make the changes she needed, and restored not only her mental health, but her physical health as well. So how do you begin to learn some new ways? Maybe just being more open to the possibilities is a start. Also, being a little more mindful as you go through your day, and challenging yourself to think differently. 



No comments:

Post a Comment