Wednesday, May 10, 2017

All or Nothing Thinking


All or nothing thinking. 

This describes me pretty accurately. Either I'm all in, almost compulsively, or I'm all out. For me there really is very little in-between.

I set very high or unrealistic standards that eventually I can't meet, and then beat myself up about why I haven't met or maintained my goal. My answer to this is usually to just give up, live in the land of denial, or secretly "hate" myself for not being perfect. 

This all or nothing thinking does get in the way.  Rather than be so hard on myself, I need to allow for a little more grace, and not demand an impossible standard.

Sometimes in the process of working toward a goal life happens, and other things take priority. Stress has a way of doing that, and distracting you from what really matters. During these times you might just find yourself functioning in survival mode. 

Starting today I'm going to extend a little more kindness, and not be so hard on myself. I'm kicking "all or nothing" to the curb.



No comments:

Post a Comment