Monday, May 8, 2017

All-in


All-in.

In reading The Happiness of Pursuit by Chris Guillebeau, he writes about a young woman named Meghan Baker who passed away in her twenties from breast cancer. 

As tragic as it was, in relaying her story he wrote, "She always went all-in on everything she did. She didn't save anything for later." Prior to her diagnosis Meghan had lived a "bucket list" type of life. After her death, her husband took it upon himself to complete that list in her honor. 

It seems that often times we hear about people like Meghan who seem to live more life in the short time they are given than most do in a lifetime. 
What I found inspiring about her attitude, though, was her not saving anything for later. Always waiting for that perfect moment might just result in completely missing the boat. 

I also admired the way she would go all-in. How fortunate she was that this quality was something she possessed even before her illness. I have a tendency to hold back, to approach situations more with caution, and to not allow myself to enjoy things fully. 

I remember once feeding some seagulls in Mississippi while visiting my Dad and step-mother. As I threw Doritos overhead, they swooped down encircling me, and I couldn't help but laugh with abandonment. The feeling was completely freeing and exhilarating. Most of the time I hold myself back in reserve making sure that I come across as controlled at all times. I wouldn't want to embarrass myself, would I? 



Although, Meghan's life was shorter than most her legacy remains in reminding us how to live life no matter how many days we are given. 

2 comments: