Friday, May 26, 2017

Overthinking


Overthinking. 

I'm a victim of overthinking. Just like clockwork anytime I am presented with a decision, small or large I begin to overthink. Nine times out of ten I can talk myself out of something right away. "What was I thinking?" "I couldn't possibly do that."

If I'm not talking myself out of something, I'm usually trying to figure out five steps ahead, just as I did every day in the classroom for thirty-one years. This is such an automatic response that most of the time I'm really not even aware I'm doing it. 

This practice can actually be quite exhausting, and I find my mind rarely settles. That's probably why I have been known to talk in my sleep, needing the full twenty-four hours to figure things out.  I always seem to be thinking about the next thing, along with the current thing, the past thing, and maybe even the thing that's going to happen next week. It wears me out just thinking about it. 

I know this overthinking cannot be good. Perhaps some sort of breathing technique, or meditation or prayer might result in a more centered me? Once again this boils down to the whole idea of accepting your nature, but at the same time challenging yourself to do better. 

I think the next time I find myself doing this I will simply say, "Stop." This reaction has worked in the past when my thoughts seem to take on a mind of their own. One thing at a time, one thing at a time. 




No comments:

Post a Comment