Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Rules


Rules. 

Katharine Hepburne once said, "If you obey all the rules you miss all the fun." She probably has a point, however, I can't say that I'm in agreement with her. 

I've always been a rule following kind of gal. This has come easily for me as I tend to agree with most of them. Or maybe, if truth be told, I always hated getting in trouble. If I could follow the rules, then I didn't have to worry about the consequences of breaking them. As a child one stern look from a teacher would crush me resulting in a tear stained face. I craved the accolades that came with doing the right thing. 

Once my husband made a comment about how fun it was to be breaking the rules. I had to explain to him that for some of us there was nothing fun about it at all. The anxiety it brought overshadowed any thrill that might result in rule breaking. 

The only rule that I have made peace about breaking is bringing outside food into the movie theater. I think this has more to do with being cheap, because I can't rectify paying more for the concessions than the movie itself. 

So is it possible to have fun and remain within the confines of the rules? I'll have to attest that it is possible, however,  it probably has a lot to do with how you define fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment