Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Luck






Luck. 

Thomas Jefferson once said, "I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."

I have never put much stock in luck. Not to say it doesn't happen, but I have never been one to depend on it. Considering that luck is, "success or failure apparently brought by chance rather than through one's actions," I can see why I personally have not looked toward luck to determine my future. 

I remember being in line to mail a package once at a post office/ convience store, and literally being the only person who was not buying a powerball ticket. Now I know you can't win if you don't play, but I think they say you actually have a greater chance of being hit by lightning than you do at winning. For some reason those odds didn't add up for me. 

Now ironically, I have actually been quite lucky when it comes to winning things like raffles, drawings and door prizes. In addition, the fact that my daughter was born on St. Patrick's Day makes this Irish girl feel quite lucky. So I guess for me I'm always willing to enjoy the luck that comes along my way, but more importantly I'm willing to put in the hard work necessary to make my own luck. 



Interestingly enough, sometimes those who rely on luck the most are often the unluckiest of all. Take Jefferson's advice and depend more on hard work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment