Friday, August 12, 2016

Travel


Travel. 

Saint Augustine is credited with the quote, "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page." As a lover of books, knowing that I could only read one page in my lifetime would be inconceivable. 

So it is with travel. Although, I may not be considered a world traveler, it has been an important part of my life.  What I have learned from my travels is that there is so much to discover that staying at home would never have allowed. 

I found that Canadian Geese enjoy spending time at all-inclusive resorts in the Dominican Republic as much as you and I. When feasting on pricy stone crab in the Keys I learned that only male crabs are harvested, and after their claw is detached they are thrown back into the ocean for regeneration. I found Mt. Rushmore to be a little disappointing when I realized that every photo I had ever seen was a close-up. Apparently, in real life when viewed from the ground it doesn't look quite so large.

Now I can't say the same thing about the Grand Canyon, because its view really is spectacular. I found the roar of a lion at the New Orlean's Zoo to be one of the most frightening sounds I had ever heard. Walking through Carlsbad Caverns was like being an alien in an unknown world.  Discovering a Prarie Dog Village in Lubbock was an unexpected treat.  Seeing a real black bear in the Smokey Mountain National Forest saved the day when my husband decided to take a detour from the original route. 

It seemed that each place I visited was an opportunity to share my adventures with my students. My teaching came to life when I could speak with authenticity. I couldn't help but be reminded of  a time in my twenties when I bought a set of luggage, and a not so encouraging "friend" made a comment about why I had wasted my money?   Although, at the time I had not traveled much I knew it was in my future. That well-worn set of luggage has been replaced more than once, but I still hold dear the memories it brings. 

The world truly does become your oyster when you make travel a priority. I encourage you to get packing. 




2 comments: