Monday, August 29, 2016

Initiative


Initiative. 

Sometimes we look around and find dissatisfaction with the way things are. We may find ourselves uncertain as to which direction we should turn. More times than not we let no decision be our decision. I've fallen prey before to doing nothing to change a situation that I was discontented with. 

Adam Grant, author of Originals, reminds us, "Remember that if you don't take initiative the status quo will persist." One definition of initiative is, "the power or opportunity to take charge." As I look back over my teaching career I am satisfied with the ease in which I would take initiative. I was always on the lookout for new things, and felt comfortable breaking away from the status quo. 

In my life I have found a certain amount of restlessness that has  resulted in my search for new ideas. I am quick to take the initiative to learn more about something, but unfortunately, I'm not always good about taking the action required for the follow-through. Being as confident in taking the initiative to change seems a little harder. However, sometimes the resulting status quo can cause a type of malaise resulting in just going through the motions on auto-pilot. 

So I try to remind myself to take the initiative so I don't deepen the depth of the rut. Although, it can be freeing to be the passenger and not have to take on the responsibility for the driving, when it comes to your life it is better to switch seats. 



No comments:

Post a Comment