Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Quitting


Quitting.

Vince Lombardi, the famous football coach used to tell his players, "Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit." If truth be told, most of us probably have something in our past that we regret. 

One of my biggest regrets had to do with quitting. My senior year of high school I was involved in a one-act-play competition. In fact, I actually had one of the leading roles. I was quite pleased with my audition performance, and had really showed off my acting abilities.  Unfortunately, that confidence never showed itself again in the rehearsals leading up to the competition. As a result, I began to feel quite intimidated with the expectations of the director.   I saw quitting as the only way to save me from further humiliation. I went to my mother for advice, and without any hesitation she urged me to go ahead with my plans and quit.  As I look back I wish she would have encouraged me to continue on rather than to take the easier road of quitting. 

Although, my problem was solved, it didn't help much in those life lessons we learn along the way. A precedent had been set that day; when things get too uncomfortable just quit. And unfortunately once you allow yourself to quit under these circumstances it may just become a habit. 

As I look back over the last forty years I wonder how many times I conviently didn't follow through because the going got tough?  I wonder what all I might have missed out on along the way?  Although, I don't think you have to stick with every new thing you try, I do think you should at least finish the committment you made. Finishing the season, or the course, or even the role others are depending on you for is what really matters most. Whether you choose to continue after that is really up to you depending upon if you found satisfaction in your new endeavor.  Just don't give up too quickly, and allow quitting to become a habit.  







1 comment:

  1. There are things I quit doing which I had to pick up again later. The going was harder the second time.

    ReplyDelete