Monday, August 22, 2016

Zeal


Zeal. 

"Let us not limit our zeal," is a reminder from St. Eugene de Mazenod  of France. Having zeal means to possess, "great energy or enthusiasm in pursuit of a cause or an object." 

When given a chance to live with zeal or not you really should choose zeal. Zeal was second nature to us as children, but as we matured it seemed to fade away. Watching a video of my grandson tasting spaghetti noodles for the first time was an exercise in zeal. The pure excitement of the experience was evident in his squeals of delight. Watching my poodle attempt to play with both his favorite ball and a long-lost toy newly discovered showed his zeal through the wagging of his tail. 

Why is it that I can find myself too serious, too reserved, and too grown-up in most situations? However, the reality is that I do have a capacity for zeal. Each day in the classroom was an opportunity for wonder as my students and I traveled down the path of learning. My enthusiasm for teaching bubbled effortlessly as I routinely asked, "Did you know?" I miss those opportunities for wonder coupled with zeal. 

In reflection on the words of this saint, I don't want to deny myself the enthusiasm and energy that being zealous might bring. It truly does contribute to a life well lived. 







No comments:

Post a Comment