Friday, July 1, 2016

Mission Statement


Mission statement. 

A mission statement is a, "formal summary of the aims and values of a company, organization, or individual." Seven years ago when I entered my first attempt at retirement I really had no idea what I wanted to do. I had no real direction or sense of myself as anything other than an elementary school teacher. 


As I have stated before this lack of direction allowed drift to take over. However, the time allowed me to be able to reflect on myself as more than just a teacher, and what I wanted from the next stage of my life. 

Through this blog, and the incorporation of writing in my life again I decided that a mission statement might be in order. A mission statement would guide me as each new experience came along. I would be able to judge whether it was adding to or taking away from my mission. 

I knew that this statement would have to include my love of learning, whether that was in a formal classroom or not. My love of writing would have to continue, and my constant quest 
for creativity would have to be met. In addition, I also knew that my natural love of 
encouraging others would have to be tied to the statement. 


So the following mission statement seemed to fall into place as I envisioned my future; To be a student of life incorporating creativity along the way, and encouraging others to do the same. I am excited as I look forward to remaining true to the aims and values I hold dear. 

4 comments:

  1. You might enjoy reading this article about "the five hour rule".
    http://www.inc.com/empact/why-constant-learners-all-embrace-the-5-hour-rule.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful! Love the idea of a mission statement. Ann Marie.

    ReplyDelete