Friday, July 22, 2016

Eccentric


Eccentric. 

An eccentric person according to definition is one of unconventional and slightly strange views or behaviors. When I think of eccentric, the crazy cat lady comes to mind. Of course, at this moment I have a dog on one shoulder and a cat on my arm as I attempt to type. So maybe who's crazy now?

Philosopher Bertrand Russell in his autobiography writes, "Do not fear to be eccentric in opinion, for every opinion now accepted was once eccentric."

In yesterday's post I discussed how embarrassment can hold us back from attempting something new. However, in adopting a more eccentric lifestyle embarrassment might become a thing of the past. 

I will admit that I am sometimes quick to judge a person primarily on their looks. I  find myself immediately jumping to the conclusion of strange or weird. I wonder why they seem comfortable in being so unconventional?  But if truth be known I find myself somewhat envious that they have the courage to do so. 

Marching to the beat of your own drummer seems to become easier as you age. You begin to worry less about what others think, and start embracing the things that truly reflect your own likes and dislikes. Does this always mean you've crossed over into the realm of eccentric? Possibly not, but then again, why not? 



No comments:

Post a Comment