Thursday, July 28, 2016

Ideas



Ideas. 

I absolutely love ideas. I especially love it when an idea grows wings and takes flight. Oliver Wendell Holmes remarked, "Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions."

I think sometimes we have a tendency to limit our ideas. Or if an idea does present itself we might not be paying close enough attention. Elizabeth Gilbert, author of Big Magic, believes that if not embraced by its original owner an idea will move onto a more willing participant. 

I've learned to be more open to ideas. I am more observant of what I see, hear and read. If an idea comes to mind, I am quick to jot it down, so it can be revisited at a later date. I find that ideas are what sparks creativity. 

There is a journalistic term called "saving string."  It refers to saving all those bits and pieces that come along the way that can be used for that next great story. One of my favorite movies from the 80's was Working Girl starring Melanie Griffith. Her character would do just that. Always on the lookout for interesting ideas, she combined them to change the tragectory of her life. 

Ideas come from many places. Be on the look out and see what develops.



2 comments:

  1. Truly good ideas pop up in many places. So when is an ideas a mere fad?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe it can be both? Sometimes an idea might be meant for a certain time.

      Delete