Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Books


Books. 

Thomas Jefferson and I share the same sentiment when it comes to books, "I cannot live without books."

I don't remember growing up with an over abundance of books or a bedtime ritual of stories read nightly. In fact the first books I really remember were given to me on my sixth birthday. It was the early 1960's, and Dr. Seuss was all the rage. The Cat in the Hat and One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish became my two new favorites. 

The first book that I couldn't put down was The Hundred Dresses. I remember walking home from school with my nose in that book not being able to get to the next page fast enough.  Kinda of like a long-ago Pokemon Go experience minus the cell phone. 

During my childhood and teen years the library was always my favorite place. I aspired to be  Nancy Drew, learned about Betsy Ross, discovered The Knights of the Round Table, and even  attempted a chemistry experiment or two using a Dixie cup and spices. I kept hoping I would invent the next great thing. 

As a teacher my love of books was kept alive, and by the time I retired I had too many books to count. Today my collection is dispersed over several bookcases in different rooms of my home. Between dollar books on a clearance rack to gift cards from Barnes and Noble I find myself adding to my collection. Although, I may never completely finish reading them all, I do find enjoyment in collecting them. It looks like my grandson might have inherited my love of books, and I look forward to spending time reading to him. 





No comments:

Post a Comment