Monday, July 4, 2016

The Trap of the Familiar


The trap of the familiar. 

The other morning I woke up and gave some thought to what I wanted to do that day. Oh, the joys of retirement!  I found myself leaning toward the familiar; all the things I usually did. Except I decided I wanted to be a little more adventurous that day. 

There was a local coffee shop that I had been wanting to visit for quite a while. I figured I could take a few unread magazines and try it out that morning. I also decided in the vein of adventure to try something new to drink. I had never tried chai tea before, and thought I might begin with an iced chai latte. 

I wondered why for me trying something new was did not come naturally to me? I'm usually hesitant because I'm afraid I'm not going to like it, and I'll feel like I missed out on something I already knew to be good. 

Some of this has to do with a Dr. Pepper experience from my childhood. To this day I won't drink it, and can't even stand the smell. I guess when I ordered that unfamiliar drink and was so disappointed in the taste,  it kind of set a precedent for me when it came to trying new things. 

Now, to be perfectly honest I can't say I absolutely loved the iced chai tea. I kept thinking it needed more sweetness. However, I don't regret trying it or visiting the coffee shop. Whether something turns out amazing or not, is sometimes not the point. Rather it's the experience itself that is the important thing. Onward to the next adventure. 











No comments:

Post a Comment