Wednesday, November 11, 2015

The Things We Take For Granted


The things we take for granted. For most of us when we think about Memory Care, we envision a group of frail, elderly men and women. And most of the time we would be correct. But, unfortunately this is not always the case. I met a woman the other day in Memory Care who was in her early sixties. In fact, she was celebrating her birthday, and when asked her age, I found out that she was only two years older than me. It was a very humbling experience. I thought about all the things I complained about daily, all the times I felt sorry for myself, and all the things I wish I had and did not. And I felt ashamed at my selfishness and pettiness. I guarantee she would take on all those "troubles" if given one more day to spend outside of the confines of Memory Care. When you get to be my age, you find yourself dreaming about retirement and all the things you are going to do. You dream about traveling, building your dream house, spending time with your grandkids and starting all those hobbies you never had time for before.The reality is that your best made plans may not be up to you. I hope after this experience that I learn that all those complaints pale when given the opportunity to embrace a brand new day.

No comments:

Post a Comment