Thursday, November 12, 2015

Proud Daughter


Proud daughter. Yesterday was Veteran's Day and I had an opportunity to see my Dad dressed in his Army dress blues again. My Dad served in the military for twenty years and was in both World War II and the Korean War. He was being honored as the highest ranking, oldest veteran of the assisted living residence where he lives. Now what made this even more special is that my Dad has asked to be buried in this uniform. It has been hanging in my closet since February, and I never thought I would get an opportunity to see Dad wear it again. He looked as handsome today as I remember him when I was a child. I felt quite proud as the veteran honor guard came up to shake his hand and thank him for his service. I'm especially appreciative of the wonderful people who care for him each day that went out of their way to honor Dad. Our World War II veterans are dwindling and I felt blessed to be able to spend another Veteran's Day with my Dad.

2 comments: