Thursday, November 19, 2015

Opinions


Opinions. Do you care about what other people think of you?  Are you the kind of person that expresses your opinion freely, not worrying if it is not well received?  I have been thinking about this lately, and have come to the conclusion that although I would love to be one of those people, I am not. It does matter to me what people think. Just writing this blog was a huge step for me, because I'm uncomfortable with possible rejection. Putting yourself out there can be intimidating, but I'm glad that I have. I try to make my postings more thought provoking than controversial. The other day I was quick to react to someone I disagreed with, and regretted it later. I seem to have a need to be right, but when it gets in the way, and doesn't end well maybe I should reevaluate and look for a better way. How do you respond to those you disagree with?



2 comments:

  1. I long for affirmation but I also see the scarcity that creates. Delving into any artistic venture can wreck havoc with my vulnerability. But, I do it anyway. If people disagree with me I shrink back and try to fix their opinion. I call this the hustle for worthiness. That dance stinks and I have come to resist the invitation. It feels good to say that I'm trying to free myself from this temptation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so correct about scarcity. If I only produce writing that I think people will like then I'm limiting my voice. This is a hard one for me because of the discomfort of confrontation. I'm going to reflect on your comment some more. Thanks for responding.

      Delete