Monday, October 30, 2023

Curiosity- Day 30

 


“Curiosity is free.”
Brian Grazer

In his book A Curious Mind Brian Grazer writes about how he uses curiosity “to avoid getting in a rut.”

Oh the infamous rut! This is something I have struggled with over the years. The push/ pull of seeking routine, and yet craving novelty.

As I have proposed from the beginning how can this push to avoid the rut help us to age happier and healthier. Over the last several years I have moved three times. Inevitably once I arrive in my new location I immediately begin to establish certain routines which allow me to feel more comfortable in my new environment.

However, it doesn’t take long for me to start to feel that something is missing.  The new, the novel, the unknown are all things that bring that spark back to your life. Remember my posting about curiosity leading to an interesting life. 

I have a good friend who is fearless when it comes to trying new things. Want to weave a basket? No problem. Learn archery? No worries. Try baking an elaborate soufflé. She’s got this. Her curious nature is inspirational, and she always manages to have fun. 
I’m sure the word rut is not in her vocabulary!

Curiosity is simply just wanting to know. It’s kind of like satisfying an itch. It certainly propels you to out of a rut, and possible helps prevent you from falling back in. 

Are you comfortable in your rut or do you seek the new and unknown?

No comments:

Post a Comment