Monday, October 16, 2023

Curiosity- Day 16

 


“Get over the idea that only children should spend their time in study. Be a student so long as you still have something to learn, and this will mean all your life.”
Henry L. Doherty

I have a former co-worker who has hit the road with her four children in a effort to “see the world.” Each day she posts  their adventures on Facebook, and I must admit this unconventional lifestyle sure looks appealing. Her children are experiencing so many new and different places along their adventure. 

On my recent travels I felt like a young kid again as we toured a pistachio orchard. Of course, I had eaten and enjoyed pistachios before, but I had never really given them a second thought. 

I had no idea where they originated from, what they actually grew on, and how a male and female tree differed. In fact, one of my many questions was about who was their pollinator? You can imagine my surprise when I learned it was the wind. 

What my trip to the pistachio farm did was make me realize how much there is still left to learn, and I don’t want to lose that spirit of curiosity just because I’ve gotten older. Just like Twyla Tharp reminds us, we need to enlarge our world and ourselves in order to maintain that youthful spirit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment