Saturday, October 14, 2023

Curiosity-Day 14

 


“Not all who wander are lost.”
J.R.R. Tolkien

The Wander Society by Keri Smith is a delightful little book about a mysterious group called The Wander Society. Although, not a formal organization with scheduled meetings, it is a group of like minded individuals who relish the idea of living a curious life. 

Smith states, "Society wants us to live a planned existence, following paths that have been traveled by others. Tried and true. The known, the expected, the controlled, the safe."
The Wander Society gives  us permission to continue in the footsteps of our childhood when curiosity was a part of each day. The whimsy of the book inspires its readers to add more opportunities for wandering. After all curiosity must have been a key factor in all explorations recorded in history. 

I can remember many adventures as a child where I would pack my backpack or knapsack as it was called then, and take off for the morning exploring my neighborhood.  When I was a little older I would hop on my bike and explore the nearby neighborhoods with my best friend. I was always searching for adventure or more specifically a mystery to be solved. 

Sadly in my early teens I realized that I wasn’t as brave as I needed to be, and these adventures stopped. However, my curiosity never really did.

A book review on Amazon by Kolya said it best:

“I really enjoy the messages of this book. To me, it was encouragement to go against the grain and go to the beat of your own drum. As we get older, I think we get really caught up with what society tells us is important, and we lose imagination and curiosity.”

I recently returned from a vacation to a place I’d never been to before. It had been several years since I had taken a real vacation. During that time period I had convinced myself that traveling wasn’t that important, and I was content living in my small corner of the world. 

However, I realized how wrong I was, and am already planning for a few more get always. 

Curiosity and travel are good for the soul. 

No comments:

Post a Comment