Sunday, October 1, 2023

Curiosity-Day 1




“We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we’re curious, and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.”
Walt Disney

When I think about curiosity I can’t help but think about Curious George, that childhood favorite character whose curiosity was always getting him in trouble. The picture of him floating away into the sky with a handful of balloons always comes to mind. 

Although, I loved the Curious George  series as a child I have to wonder what kind of message did it send about curiosity? Was it a good thing since it always seemed to get George in trouble? Pair that with the infamous saying, “ Curiosity killed the cat,” and it’s no wonder for many curiosity was placed on the shelf along with those other long forgotten childhood toys. 

As I contemplated my own curiosity, and as I observed it in my three young grandsons I couldn’t help but wonder how curiosity could contribute to the aging mind? This was reinforced by a story I had heard about a woman who was just turning one hundred. They attributed her longevity to her visiting the gym weekly, but I heard something different.

Her daughter shared that her mother had always been a curious person.  In fact, she had traveled from Italy as a war bride after World War II. Her adventurous spirit, courage and curiosity had allowed her to travel far from her home to start a new life. 

Could this curiosity have kept her actively engaged in life as she aged? Could it be responsible for her becoming a centenarian?

My own curiosity prompted me to learn more about this trait that carried George away high into the sky, and I must say what I learned was very intriguing. I thought I might take you along on my journey for the next thirty-one days. 

No comments:

Post a Comment