Tuesday, October 17, 2023

Curiosity-Day 17

 

“Curiosity is the engine of achievement.”
Ken Robinson

What type of curious person are you?

According to Todd B. Kashdan there are four types of curious people:



The first is The Fascinated. These people are highly curious in all areas, but especially in “joyous exploration.” I think this probably describes me. I felt like a young girl as I asked questions about the pistachios on our tour, and was thrilled beyond measure by the new information I had amassed. To be honest, that is one thing I miss about teaching young children. 

The second are The Problem Solvers. I think this is probably my husband. He’s quite good at fixing all kinds of problems. Especially those that can be solved with baling wire and chewing gum. His ability to assess a situation, inventory materials on hand, and put it all together successfully has always amazed me. He does some of his best thinking in the shower which aligns with research about the influence of water when it comes to creativity. 

Empathizers seem to be highest in social curiosity where they continually reach out to others with sincere curiosity about their lives. However, in regards to other levels of curiosity they seem to fall in the middle. Producer Brian Grazer uses this social curiosity as a super power of sorts in his job and life. 

Avoiders appear to be low on all areas of curiosity, and are especially low on stress tolerance. My observation has been that some people are uncomfortable with change, and choose not to seek out new experiences or people outside of their comfort zone. 

Do any of these types sound like you?

No comments:

Post a Comment