Friday, October 27, 2023

Curiosity- Day 27

 


“I consciously use curiosity to disrupt my own point of view.”
Brian Grazer

Now why would Brian Grazer find it important to “disrupt his point of view?”
Perhaps because sometimes we get so set in our ways that we lose sight of others.  There is a popular meme on social media that says we our too busy thinking about our response that we rarely really just listen to what someone else is saying. 

I’m very guilty of this. I’m so dead set in my opinions that I rarely give much credence to another’s view. I’m too busy coming up with my counter argument. Being right takes precedence over everything else. 

The other day I was watching an Instagram reel where a stylist was tucking in her shirt and wearing a belt. For some reason this really bothered me that fashion trends come and go. I made a comment which was somewhat snide disguised as neutral. 

The influencer commented back remarking about how she liked tucking in her shirt, but it was not a requirement for me. At that moment I felt a little ashamed at being snarky. Of course, she can tuck in her shirt. What does it really matter to me? 

I want to be more curious about other’s point of view. In the end I might change my mind or not, but either way I want to be more open to more than one way of doing things. 
Being so rigid in our thinking may not be the best way to be. Curiosity might be the key to opening this door. 

No comments:

Post a Comment