Wednesday, September 20, 2023

The Great Thimble Shortage of 2023

 


Thirty-eight years ago when I returned from my honeymoon in the Bahamas with a small thimble in hand, little did I realize that thimble collecting would become a lifetime pursuit.

Each time we would travel somewhere new I would bring back a thimble from each place we visited. It was never a problem locating them as they were quite plentiful no matter where I went. 

Fast forward to this vacation where I was barely able to locate two thimbles. The story was pretty much the same where ever I went. Apparently store owners are not able to get their hands on them anymore. 

Just like my new car second key fob that I had to wait nine months for, thimbles are no longer included in the supply chain. Thimbles and spoons are sparse I’m told, but don’t worry shot glasses are plentiful. Sadly, the aging Baby Boomer seems to be the only one interested in these simple souvenirs. 

My obsession began with that first thimble, but today I have thirty-eight years of thimbles resting contentedly in a printer’s tray taking up very little room in my library. 

I must admit I was quite disappointed not to return with several more thimbles. I’ll be curious to see if this trend continues as I continue to travel to new places. I’ll keep you posted. 

No comments:

Post a Comment