Friday, April 23, 2021

The “Bad Guys”



My three year old grandson is obsessed with superheroes, or as he likes to call them, the “Bad Guys.”

At three he’s trying to figure out his world, and is categorizing things like good and bad, boys and girls, and all things opposites which seem to be his new favorite thing. 

He’s fascinated with the “Bad Guys,” and asked to see a picture of them on my i pad. He already has a Spider-Man which he received for Christmas, but he’s learning about characters like Superman, Batman, “Four,” and Captain America. 

He’s made it quite clear that he does not care for the Hulk since he’s just a little too scary for a three year old. 

He asked me the other day if I had ordered the ‘Bad Guys” yet on Amazon. I hadn’t, but at that moment knew that within a matter of seconds I would. It’s hard to tell that sweet face and voice no. 

When they arrived, I packed them up to bring to their house. The first words out of the little one’s mouth when I met him was, ‘Mimi, did you bring the “Bad Guys?”

Now I must admit the set I purchased off Amazon was pretty lame, but not cheap in price. Two of the characters had their legs put on backwards, and the quality of the workmanship was poor. 

That being said, I really didn’t have the heart not to arrive without them. 
What I found amusing was how much knowledge I actually remembered about superheroes. As a child I read Superman comic books, and was an ardent fan of the Batman tv show in the 60’s. How could I forget those famous words, “Same bat time same bat channel,” heard each week at the end of the show?

I realized that over the years I had seen movies about Spider-Man, Batman, Superman, Ironman, Captain America, and Thor. Thank you Chuck!

As I searched the far reaches of my brain thick with cobwebs I slip open the Superhero file drawer, and began teaching my grandsons all about the amazing powers these superheroes possessed. 

Anything I was unsure about I simply googled. 

My grandson’s favorite thing, though, was the effects of kryptonite on Superman. He used a little green block to simulate the deadly substance while he learned all about the planet Krypton. 

What I found amusing was being a mom of a girl who never showed any interest in superheroes , I had just enough background knowledge to teach my grandsons all about the world of superheroes.

No comments:

Post a Comment