Friday, March 12, 2021

The Mimicry Heuristic





Heuristic- Mimicry Heuristic

Definition- the tendency to unknowingly copy those around us.

Example- Perhaps the best example of this is my oldest grandson who emulates his dad in dress, manners and even the accent he uses. He is very aware as he watches my son-in-law and his friends, and does his best to fit right in. 

How This Can Work Against Us- For me my Jr. High and High School years were perfect examples of this need to fit in which played havoc with me. Prior to adolescence I was quite content to basically be me. The comparison game was few and far between at that time. That all changed around the age of thirteen as I began to mimic those more popular, and in my mind more beautiful young girls, I saw each day at school. 

How To Be More Aware Next Time- I wish I could honestly say that today I never fall prey to this heuristic. Unfortunately it does ugly head does creep in from time to time. Luckily, my basic survival does not depend on being one of the “in crowd” any more. Just like all heuristics, just being more aware of a situation can help walk you off the ledge of reverting back to your teenage years. 

Recount a Time You Used This Heuristic- I remember when I was in Jr. High one of the popular girls decided a certain type of plastic hair barrettes was the thing to wear. It wasn’t but a matter of weeks that everyone else had jumped on board. Anytime she or one of her friends got a new pair of shoes there was a mad rush to Baker’s Shoes. Sadly I remember being a poorly put together replica of my “idols.”

Plan For What to Do Next Time- Remember the words of Teddy Roosevelt, “Comparison is the thief of joy.”

No comments:

Post a Comment