Tuesday, March 9, 2021

The Familiarity Heuristic




Heuristic- Familiarity Heuristic

Definition- Our natural inclination to favor the familiar over the unknown. 

Example- Because we tend to think that anything familiar will be more reliable or safe, we often choose the same products that our parents chose. 

How This Can Work Against Us- Wray Herbert, author of On Second Thought, reminds us that, “The known is not necessarily better than the unknown.” We very well may be missing out on something much better by being hesitant to try something new. 

How To Be More Aware Next Time- When automatically choosing a familiar product consider trying something new for change. I always buy Bounty paper towels because I find them to work the best. However, recently I came across someone espousing Viva paper towels. I’ve decided to give them a try next time just to see the difference. 

Recount a Time You Used This Heuristic- I use this one all the time. For years I always used Dobie Pads to scrub my dishes because my mom always used Dobie. Once when they were not available I purchased another brand, and have found them to be better because they have two scrubbing surfaces. So today I use Scotch-Brite.

Plan For What To Do Next Time- I’m going to challenge myself to try something new the next time I’m at the grocery store. 

No comments:

Post a Comment